Monday 11 August 2014

Exciting week !

This week was full of ups and downs (I like it ;) ). I started practicing div 2 500 problems on TopCoder but after 2 days I was having loads of academic work pending and unfortunatley I had to give up my idea of solving 3 problems a day . But I didn't stop coding . Everyday I was learning new & exciting stuffs . I started learning python and C++ (OOPS part) I fell ill also(Now I am fit) .

One of my batch mate  asked me about the working of the square root function I told him that it should behave like a standard function with some iteration by which it outputs the answer to a particular level of precision and then while learning python I came across Newton Raphson method to calculate square root of a given number . I was very excited to see such method .Its like -

suppose we want to calculate the sqrt of N -
1. Take a rough approximation of lets say x = N/2 (It can be taken anything but it is advised to make it close to the square root of N)
2.  Iterate -
                 y = (x + N/x)/2
                 x = y
3. stop iterating when you reach to a particular level of precision lets say 0.00001

 sqrt(N)
{
     x = N/2
     while(1)
    {  y = (x+N/x)/2
        if(abs(y-x)<0.00001)break
        x = y
    }
   return x
}
Wondering whether if this is the method behind the built in function sqrt ... Gonna search for it .

Yesterday, I gave an online contest on Codechef which was conducted by IIIT Delhi's programming club and got 362nd rank .. All questions were easy but I could solve only 2/5 due to lack of Algorithmic knowledge .

Thanks for reading and keep coding !

No comments:

Post a Comment